On April 23 this year, during the solemn meeting devoted to the World Book and Copyright Day and the Professional Librarian Day, held at the Municipal Library “B.P. Hasdeu” were awarded prize-winners of the Republican Competition “Public Library - Partner in Promoting Intellectual Property”, fourth edition. The competition is organized by AGEPI in partnership with the Librarians Association of the Republic of Moldova and was conducted during the period 1 April 2012 - 10 April 2013.
The competition has five nominations, in accordance with the categories of participating libraries: national/republican libraries; university libraries; municipal libraries; regional libraries; specialized libraries.
Files submitted to the fourth edition of the competition show that libraries have been actively involved in the promotion of intellectual property information, carrying out for this purpose various forms of activities designed to familiarize beneficiaries with the information potential and services by which that can benefit inventors, researchers and users of information in the field of intellectual property, including organizing book fairs in the IP field, with the display of AGEPI publications, seminars, roundtables and other training activities in the given field.
The Competition Jury, which includes specialists of AGEPI and National Librarians Association, has designated the following prize-winners of the fourth edition of the Competition “Public Library - Partner in Promoting Intellectual Property”:
· In the category of republican libraries - a diploma and a prize worth 2000 Lei were awarded to the Republican Scientific-Technical Library of the Institute of Economics, Finance and Statistics, Director General Elena Bordian;
· In the category of university libraries - a diploma and a prize worth 1500 Lei were awarded to the Scientific Medical Library of the State University of Medicine and Pharmacy “Nicolae Testemitanu”, Director Liubovi Karnaeva;
· In the category of district public district libraries - a diploma and a prize worth 1000 Lei were awarded to the Floresti District Public Library, Director Eugenia Gutanu.
In order to support all participants in the competition and also encourage other libraries to fully involve in the promotion of the public, including the diligent youth, the information on the role and importance of intellectual property for economic, social and cultural development of the country, the need for enforcement of intellectual property rights, the negative impact of piracy and counterfeiting, the Jury awarded also six special prizes to the following libraries:
- Scientific Library of the State University “A. Russo” of Balti, Director Elena Harconita;
- Scientific Library of the Academy of Economic Studies, Director Silvia Ghinculov;
- Briceni District Public Library, Director Tatiana Iudcovscaia;
- Rascani Public Town Library, Director Galina Sacaliuc;
- Nisporeni District Public Library, Director Elizaveta Timbur;
- Chiscareni Library “S. Radautanu”, Singerei District, Director Nadejda Ciugureanu;
- Librarianship and Information Assistance Department of the Faculty of Journalism and Communication Sciences from the State University of Moldova
AGEPI prizes and diplomas, including one set of publications in the field of IP, were handed by Maria Rojnevschi, Director of Promotion and Publishing Department of AGEPI, and Rodica Crijanovschi, Head of Library and Archives Collection.
Traditionally, libraries organize and carry out IP promotion activities within the framework of the World Book and Copyright Day, World Intellectual Property Day (April 26) and Inventor’s and Rationalizer’s Day (last Saturday in June), and during the entire competition period.
We should note that in the event organized on the occasion of the Professional Librarian Day in the Republic of Moldova were also awarded diplomas from the Government, Ministry of Education and Ministry of Culture, as well as diplomas and prizes to prize-winners of the national competitions held by the Librarians Association of the Republic of Moldova (LARM): “Best Librarian 2012” and “Most Successful Works in the Field of Librarianship and Information Science 2012”.
The event was attended with greeting messages by Mr. Michael Sleahtitchi, Counsillor of the President of RM for Culture, Education and Science, Gheorghe Postica, Deputy Minister of Culture, Margareta Timofti, First Lady, representatives of the Ministry of Education, Parliamentary Commission for Culture, Education, Youth, Sports and Mass Media, Chisinau Mayoralty, Librarians Association, etc.
Book Day was marked for the first time in Spain, in 1923, in memory of the writer Miguel de Cervantes who died on that day. Later, in 1995, UNESCO officially established that the World Book and Copyright Day to be celebrated on April 23. By the celebration of this world holiday, UNESCO seeks to promote reading, publishing industry and protection of intellectual property by copyright.