On August 19, 2005, after the torrential downpours and the break of dams around Grătieşti lakes, the flood inundated the courtyard and the basement of the State Agency on Intellectual Property of the Republic of Moldova (AGEPI), which location is close to the river Bîc. The basement of AGEPI (18 rooms with an area of 465 m2) was completely flooded, the water level reaching up to 1,5-1,8 m., in other rooms with lower location (warehouse, archive) - up to 2m.
At the moment of inundation, the following units were placed in the basement:
1) AGEPI Archives, which included over 30000 files (inventions, trademarks, industrial designs and other intellectual property objects);
2) Printing-house, containing up-to-date polytrophic equipment and computers;
3) Aid post, containing equipment for physiotherapeutic treatment;
4) Bureaus of the AGEPI Logistics and Administration Division, equipped with computers;
5) AGEPI and canteen warehouses;
6) Warehouse of the AGEPI Copyright and Related Rights Department;
The commission for evaluation of the damages caused to the AGEPI by the inundation of August 19, 2005, estimated the AGEPI losses in amount of 6 bln MD lei.
The AGEPI is grateful to the Department of Operative Services of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of the Republic of Moldova and to the City Hall of Rîşcani district for the assistance granted at pumping-out the water from the AGEPI basement.
Beginning with the evening of August 19 and during this week, the whole staff of AGEPI undertakes urgent measures for saving the AGEPI deteriorated or mud covered patrimony and, first of all, the files from the AGEPI archive.
Commission on elimination of the consequences of the calamity