In the period 24-27 June 2014, a delegation from the Republic of Moldova made a working visit to Romania. The event was organized by the Romanian Office for Copyright (ORDA) in cooperation with the collective management organizations (CMO) of Romania: Romanian Center for Performers Rights Administration (CREDIDAM), Society of Romanian Authors and Publishers of Scientific Works (PERGAM), Composers and Musicologists Union of Romania - Association for Copyright (UCMR-ADA) and Romanian Phonogram Producers Union (UPFR).
Moldovan delegation was represented by:
- Olga Belei, Chief of Control and Legislation Enforcement Division, Copyright and Related Rights Department, State Agency on Intellectual Property (AGEPI);
- Iurie Ciubotaru, Vice President, National Association for the Protection of Intellectual Creation (ANPCI);
- Angela Stroici, Director General, Association |Copyright and Related Rights” (AsDAC);
- Oleg Gutium, member of the Council, National Association “Copyright” (ANCO);
- Alexandru Melnic, lawyer, Republican Office for Copyright (ORDA);
- Oleg Meleca, Programmer-Technician, Association “Copyright and Related Rights” (AsDAC).
During the working visit, the delegation of the Republic of Moldova has discussed with representatives of CMO in Romania issues related to identifying solutions in the field of collective management, particularly concerning the way of negotiation between organizations in order to establish a single collector.
The program included meetings with representatives of ORDA, UPFR, Romanian Television Society - Romanian Television (TVR), UCMR-ADA, PERGAM, CREDIDAM, Optical Disc Factory “Optical Disc Solutions” (ODS).
Thus, ORDA representatives presented some COM activity monitoring data, UPFR representatives presented data from the annual report “Digital Music Report” published by the International Federation of Phonograms Industry (IFPI), which provides data about the music industry in the digital environment worldwide. In the meeting with representatives of TVR, our country’s delegation has been demonstrated the ability to identify works whose right holder is Romanian television and which are placed in the digital environment with copyright infringement – by the example of page www.youtube.com.
At the same time, at the request of the Moldovan delegation, UCMR-ADA representatives explained the mode of payment of remuneration for cable retransmission.
This visit was an opportunity for representatives of CMOs from the Republic of Moldova to conduct an exchange of experience in order to improve the collective management system. Both ORDA and CMOs from Romania, have agreed to provide advice and assistance in order to identify solutions to problems in the field of collective management. At the same time, they encouraged the Moldovan CMOs to strive towards overcoming conflict situations that create obstacles in the development of this field. In this context, there were made the following recommendations:
- CMOs must address a common policy in relation to users, as in a dispersed way is very difficult to accomplish basic tasks - the collection of remuneration, because users will try to avoid paying;
- CMOs must focus on peaceful addressing and avoid disputes with users, because only through explanations and negotiations will be possible to establish relations of cooperation;
- CMOs must ensure transparency in relation to its members, and especially the users, to avoid any suspicion as to the collection and distribution of remuneration.