A bilateral meeting between the State Agency on Intellectual Property (AGEPI) and the Patent and Trademark Office of the Republic of Azerbaijan took place on September 6, 2009, in Chisinau.
The meeting was held at AGEPI’s headquarters and aimed at signing a Memorandum of Cooperation on Intellectual Property between the two offices.
Thus, during the meeting, the delegations of AGEPI and the Patent and Trademark Office of the Republic of Azerbaijan discussed about recent developments in in the field of protection and enforcement of intellectual property rights in the Republic of Moldova and Azerbaijan. During the meeting, the priority directions of cooperation between the two offices in the development of national intellectual property protection systems were also identified.
Next, following the program, AGEPI Director General Lilia Bolocan and Interim Director General of the Patent and Trademark Office of the Republic of Azerbaijan Gunel Sevdimaliyeva signed the Memorandum of Cooperation.
Cooperation between the two offices will be carried out in the following main directions:
- Exchange of best practices in their regular activities;
- Exchange of knowledge and experience in providing specialized intellectual property services to clients;
- Exchange of information on industrial property legislation and its further development;
- Exchange of knowledge and experience in awareness-raising activities in the field of intellectual property;
- Examination of the possibilities of organizing conferences, symposia, joint seminars and other educational events in the field of industrial property;
- Promotion and support of the geographical indications (GIs) protection system and awareness of the protection of GIs;
- Promotion of the system of intellectual property rights among R & D organizations, enterprises and other parties interested in the field of intellectual property of the Republic of Moldova and Azerbaijan.
We should note that on April 23, 2008, the Government of the Republic of Moldova and the Government of the Republic of Azerbaijan have signed a Cooperation Agreement on Industrial Property Protection through which the Governments of both countries have pledged to fortify cooperation in the field of IP. The Memorandum of Cooperation between AGEPI and the Azerbaijan Office comes to contribute to the fulfillment of the undertaken commitments.